Thursday, March 1, 2018

Dona Speir

I learned of Dona Speir sometime in the early-1990s when I came across the the first of several movies by Andy Sidaris, probably on Showtime. Sidaris made 12 movies all on a similar topic: get a bunch of Playboy Playmates, put them in a movie (regardless of their acting talent), and in ridiculous situations – like that they are government agents working to bring down drug lords. Priceless!!!

Sidaris made 7 movies with basically the same cast, all starring Speir as the lead agent. Paired with another Playboy Playmate (at first Hope Marie Carlton, later Roberta Vasquez), Dona (as special agent Donna Hamilton) finds plenty of time to get nude in-between running her “front” (an air cargo delivery on Molokai), chasing bad guys, and comparing the size of her guns (no really, actual guns!) with those of her male colleagues.

I haven’t seen these flicks for a while, but my recollection is that as this series went on, Speir did less and less gratuitous nudity per movie. Maybe she had more creative control?

A decade or so later, these 7 movies (along with 4 later ones featuring an almost completely new cast led by Julie Strain, plus Sidaris’ 1st flick “Malibu Express” starring Sybil Danning) were re-packaged into four 3-disc sets under the banner “Babes, Bombs, and Bullets” (or something like that).

I highly recommend the first 8 flicks to anyone who likes this stuff. I haven’t seen the last 4 movies, probably because of the unfamiliar cast. Oh, so it sounds like I was watching these for the plots or character development! :)


Her movies I have seen: 
  *1993 - Fit to Kill
  *1993 - Hard Hunted
+*1991 - Do or Die (great pool scene with Erik Estrada!)
  *1990 - Guns
   1989 - Savage Beach
  *1988 - Picasso Trigger
  *1987 - Hard Ticket to Hawaii

+ best bet
 * would watch again


Her movies I'd like to see: 
Nah, I’m done

Where she ranks on the list: 
She plays the same character in all 7 movies – a tough chick who isn’t afraid to take it off (although there’s no visible sex going on.) Personally, Roberta Vasquez is my favorite actress/bunny from these films, but Dona is nice too. I’m going to slot her at #4 in this (so-far) list of 6. She shows as much or more as all those currently on the list except for Sybil Danning, but I can’t see putting Dona ahead of the marvelously-stacked Jayne Mansfield.


No stripping while piloting an airplane! (or at least 1 at a time)...

No comments:

Post a Comment